maven-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC on MNG-6003: Drastically reduce JAVA_HOME discovery code
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:37:34 GMT
Am 2016-04-17 um 17:24 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> So will the proposed behavior be I upgrade Maven, I don’t have JAVA_HOME set manually
and Maven will error out?

No, if Java in PATH is a JDK, it will continue to work as usual. This is
probably the case on most dev machines.

Michael

>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 1:34 PM, Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> we all know that people once in a while complain that my JAVA_HOME is not properly
discovered on $PLATFORM, etc. Surprisingly, we require JAVA_HOME to be set in the installation
documentation, yet we discover it anyway. This is a contradiction. Moreover, our discovery
mechanism can never be complete and won't. It bloats.

>> In MNG-6003 [1], I propose to throw away all of this code and solely rely on the
dev's input. If he/she it not able to set it properly, he/she shouldn't write code at all.
Most of the time, on Unix/Linux, this isn't even necessary because a JDK is installed by default.