maven-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC on MNG-6003: Drastically reduce JAVA_HOME discovery code
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:44:53 GMT
Am 2016-04-17 um 18:19 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> You answered with a condition and an assumption. I’ll be more
> specific.
>
> On a Mac where discovery works well, a new user installs Java, brew
> installs Maven and it works. Does this still work?

I have requested everyone to test the branch as I do not have access to
all types of platforms. Ultimately, if we perform an auto-discovery it
is a lie that we require JAVA_HOME to be set. Either docs are wrong or
our script is.

It seems like brew sets JAVA_HOME for you:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/fb81645562f7e495a49561065912788af2d1f14f/Formula/maven.rb#L27

> I will check our CI servers, but if those stop working after an
> upgrade I would be an unhappy user as would the thousands of people
> using our CI cluster if their jobs broke. I don’t really want to
> change 400 slaves. I’d have to double check how Java and Maven
> interact in Jenkins. I’m actually not sure what it does exactly
> insofar as relying on something set in a plugin, paths or discovery.
> If you broke how Maven works in CI servers that would not be nice.

Please go ahead and test it.

Jenkins does not use the script as it seems:
[maven-3.x] $
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/tools/hudson.model.JDK/jdk-1.7u51/bin/java
-Xmx2g -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -cp
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/tools/hudson.tasks.Maven_MavenInstallation/Maven_3.0.5/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.4.jar

org.jvnet.hudson.maven3.agent.Maven3Main
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/tools/hudson.tasks.Maven_MavenInstallation/Maven_3.0.5
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/slave.jar
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor.jar
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar 36465

Michael