maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject I wish we had a way to declare a dependency that wouldn't participate in the classpath
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:04:47 GMT
Sometimes, we want to declare a dependency without changing a classpath.

Project A builds an OSGi bundle and a Karaf feature (classifier
'feature', type 'xml').

Project B wants to consume the feature. it wants to declare the
feature descriptor as a dependency, to (a) ensure reactor order, and
(b) make the dependency information available to plugins.

But it does _not_ want A's OSGi bundle and it's dependencies in the classpath.

The only way out is to exclude them, one-by-one. And when someone adds
a dependency to A, you have to maintain the exclusion list.

Another example is the tomcat plugin: it needs wars as dependencies,
and similarly it needs to avoid having their dependencies in the
classpath.

To me, this calls out for another scope.