maven-dev mailing list archives

From Arnaud Héritier <aherit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Eclipse Plugin / Donation to Mojohaus
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:37:19 GMT
Because it is impossible to maintain it nowadays. Too much features (support for many eclipse
distress with many extensions like WTP…), not enough tests and the impossibility to validate
anything at the end because configuration files used by eclipse are evolving, not documented
and there is no known solution to manage them nicely (as far it was impossible several years
ago when I was maintaining it).

Also I suppose that now a large part of maven committers aren’t using eclipse or are using
m2e which doesn’t give them the required experience to improve/maintain this plugin.

That’s why moving it to MojoHaus will be a good thing because it will allow more people
to contribute to it.

About the fact that you need to add some settings in your POM because of m2e …. yes that’s
not cool. But I’m using IDEA thus I don’t have useful feedback about it. It reminds that
for all IDEs it is always a nightmare to correctly share IDE settings inside a team/project.
Having some configuration about it in the pom doesn’t seem the worst idea...

> On 08 Oct 2015, at 15:22, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry for the top post, phone.
> So are you saying that the way forward is to have junk in POM files for the way each
kind of IDE does its business? Tall about mixing model and view! There is nothing wrong with
eclipse:eclipse IMO but I have no spare cycles to maintain it. I'm not sure why Maven wants
to go out of its way to break it though...