maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: number of bugs in maven-release-plugin
Date Sat, 27 Jun 2015 11:03:25 GMT
"The trick is that the status cannot be worse then it is now."
Sadly that's not always true.
A good example are the GIT fixes in SCM, which should make it more robust,
but in the end did more harm than good, even with unittest included. For
the reporter it seemed to work, but not for the whole world anymore. And
again gave the plugin a less positive reputation (for some it was another
reason to confirm that you shouldn't use this plugin), even though it was
another project causing the issues. So I really would like a teammember
knowing the system to verify and commit it. And the team should be big
enough to cover them all. Otherwise we should just look for them.

Quite often it is not the maven-release-plugin itself which is the issue.
And there are cases where people are trying to create backdoors which I
just simply refuse. In such cases you need to start the discussion why
they need it and that often exposes a valid root cause.

Do you (or your colleague) have a number of issues you'd like to see fixed?
Personally I don't mind having a a lot of issues os long as they all add
something. Once somebody (who?) has the need to work on this plugin he can
just continue on the open issues.
AFAIK there are no real blocking issues so I chose to work on other stuff
right now. If it is a real issue, they know how to find us, Fred did it a
couple of times :) Then we can work together on such issue, that works
often better and is much more fun.

Robert