maven-dev mailing list archives

From Baptiste Mathus <bmat...@batmat.net>
Subject Re: Full migration to Git
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 21:07:31 GMT
:

> Re-running the clone from a backup of asf svn is time consuming but might
> be the way to go, because we could probably get the correct layout in one
> go. (But it's dooog slow and will be even worse multiplied by X)

Yes. That's indeed the way I chose to follow for Mojo because after
twiddling a bit with filter-branch, I was quite sure it would be slower but
a lot easier to just git svn clone mojo by mojo (hence the csv file,
specifying the tags&branches for each mojo [1]). I also

And I can certainly relate about the sluggishness. It took about 2 or 3
minutes even for very small mojos, and I had the whole SVN imported locally.

In that current case, I've always seen svn repositories available at GitHub
as automated facilities somehow only to be able to file PR against the svn
trunk, but not as real Git clone that could be used for a migration.

> Alternately one could probably get around the strange layout of the current
> git-svn clone by doing some hardcore conditional filter-branching to
> rewrite the root directory of only those commits that are not already at
> the root. This is not your average git-svn rewrite and we're *way* beyond
> powerpoint presentations here.
>
> But bottom line, it's just a dirty job that someone has to do :)

Yep. But even if I'm not even sure every required commits are here, I'm not
sure that would be interesting to do it apart from learning a bit more
black magic :).

[1] https://github.com/mojohaus/convert-to-git/blob/master/repo-infos.csv