maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject User Community was (Re: number of bugs in maven-release-plugin)
Date Sat, 27 Jun 2015 11:36:03 GMT
Hi Robert,

On 6/27/15 12:51 PM, robert.patrick@oracle.com wrote:
> Sorry for butting in but as someone who is a staunch supporter of
 > Maven within my company and its user community,
 > I have to agree that the difficulty in engaging
 > the Maven developers to even discuss issues
 > is too high.

First i would be interested in examples of this kind, cause
unfortunately i have to say i never saw your name on the dev/users
list...nor can i remember about your name in jira issue (I have admit
that i'm not that long part of the Maven team but i'm reading the list a
longer time)..may be just i oversight or mistaken something....

 > I often find myself fixing plugins by forking
 > my own private versions since doing
 > anything else is too slow/painful.

Can you give some examples (or a list of them) of those fixes and for
which plugins you have to do so? And how often in number is ?

> Sorry for the intrusion...

No excuse needed and that's no intrusion.......

It is very important that someone raises his hand that there is
something which need to pay attention to....

> Robert Patrick <robert.patrick@oracle.com>
> VP, Oracle Corporation
> Mobile: +1.469.556.9450
> Sent from my iDevice

>> the fix *I* won't apply those patches (unless the code clearly exposes the
>> issue).
>>
>> This is the problem. My colleague told me to have a look in ASF JIRA and see
>> how many people provided patches. He said that he dislikes Maven community
>> because of this reason they ignore their patches.

The problem of many patches is simply they lack of tests, i often write
to them they should produce tests...but i often get the feedback: I
don't have time to write test just fix it...or i don't get any feedback
at all...

Furthermore as Robert Scholte mentioned people often see only their
limited scope which often conflicts with the whole idea's, concept of
Maven / Plugins in general...which results in not acceptiong patches...

>> So we should not be wondering that competitors are preferable because they
>> can apply Groovy and patch directly in the script without asking us.

Which would exactly results in coded builds which is in the end much
more complicated and worse maintainable than any Maven build every be....