maven-dev mailing list archives

From Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported Toolchain JDK version in Surefire / was: surefire refactoring done
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 14:55:09 GMT
@Kristian, Andreas,
I think it makes sense to upgrade only javac to 1.7 in surefire plugins 3.0
running in main process, but the surefire providers including the booter are
quite isolated. This means they may stay on Java 5 until new Java feature is
required in the child processes as well.
For me it would be change to use Java 5 features because surefire has long
history and the code is still not type safe I would like to have (todo use
enums for instance). What I am maybe missing is try-with-resources of Java 7
but since this has really few occasions in the code I am still fine with
Java 5 in child processes.

In surefire 3.0 I would like to have a separate module with SPI interfaces
base on Java 8 in the future but that's still the main process which may
change javac version as we like.