maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Maven 3.3.3 Release
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2015 20:43:09 GMT
So I will roll out 3.3.3 in the morning (eastern time).

Then I will integrate the staged version of Sisu, do a few more fixes and release 3.3.4.

On Apr 26, 2015, at 4:39 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> If this is what's happening make a JIRA and mark it for 3.3.4 and we'll get it in there.
Seems easy enough to fix. Stuart, thanks for the analysis.

> On Apr 26, 2015, at 1:24 PM, Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 26 April 2015 at 17:34, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Did you create an issue in JIRA, I still don't know exactly what the problem
is.

>> AFAICT the underlying issue is that the MAVEN_OPTS setting can be reset when the
mvn script sources .mavenrc

>> Before 3.3.x the mvnDebug script was a tweaked copy of mvn so this didn’t make
any difference to debugging as MAVEN_DEBUG_OPTS was still referenced in the final command.

>> For 3.3.x onwards the mvnDebug script sets MAVEN_OPTS to “$MAVEN_OPTS $MAVEN_DEBUG_OPTS”
and then invokes the mvn script... which means that if MAVEN_OPTS is subsequently reset by
.mavenrc in the mvn script then the debug settings are lost. You can recreate this by simply
adding MAVEN_OPTS=“-showversion” to your .mavenrc

>> One fix could be to source /etc/mavenrc and .mavenrc early on in mvnDebug (as done
in the mvn script) and then set MAVEN_SKIP_RC=1 when invoking mvn with the combined MAVEN_OPT
setting. This should stop it getting reset in the mvn script and allow the debug settings
to pass through.

3.3.x versions already. So 3.3.3 is at least better than 3.3.2. We should really fix this
in the next version. But otherwise the release looks good.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>>
>>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
>>>
>>> -- Shakespeare

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>
> Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.
>
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

The most dangerous risk: spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy
yourself freedom to do it later.

 -- Randy Komisar