maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 20:00:59 GMT
So let's say that Dennis and I have our concerns.

The discussion about versions seems more about marketing versions.
If the current added features are minor incremental worthy AND Java
Runtime change to version 7 is also minor incremental worthy, then so be
it.
I wouldn't call 3.3.0 a dead end, it's just following the concept of
versioning.

If 3.3.0 will require Java7 without any additional changes, it's just Java
7 "in name", just because source+target were pushed to 1.7, whereas 1.6
would have been fine as well. I'd prefer to do the source+target change
right after the official release of M3.3.0, which should give us enough
time to test it thorough.

Be aware that with this choice we're going to reduce the number of
supported JDKs to 2, namely Java7 and Java8.
I would really like to see that we support the three latest versions, so
drop Java6 once Java9 has been officially released. This implies that
EOL's are less interesting to me.

thanks,
Robert