maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 08:22:29 GMT
I agree we're spending too much energy but I don't plan to roll anything back. I do not want
to support the rather large feature set change across 1.6 and 1.7 because it will be a huge
maintenance burden. It's entirely unrealistic to try and support 1.6 and 1.7 given the activity
in the core by so few. If we cut this release and then we switch to 1.7 the 3.3.0 will pretty
much become instantly dead because I know we'll flip over to 1.7 features quickly and i doubt
anyone is going to backport anything and there are likely going to be issues with all the
new features and then a user is going to be forced to update anyway to get the fixes. If you
want all the new features then too bad, upgrade to 3.3.0 and use 1.7. I really do not want
to continue developing with 1.6 because I think it's a waste of time and energy.

On Mar 10, 2015, at 12:56 AM, Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenvold@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we're spending far too much energy on this discussion. Roll back to
> 1.6/1.6 and make the 3.4 1.7.
>

> Kristian

>> Java 7, ie 3.2(Java 6)/3.3(Java 7+current changes)
>> or
>> Java 6, ie 3.2(Java 6)/3.3(Java 6+current changes)/3.4(Java 7, ~1 month
>> later)
>> ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le lundi 9 mars 2015 09:35:30 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>>> Yes, I'll leave it until Wednesday to see if anyone has any issues
>> running
>>> master and then I'll stage the release.

>> everybody's

>> the
>> and

>> jump to

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>>
>>> A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
>>> is responsible for the quality of the whole
>>>
>>> -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play; his
labor and his leisure; his mind and his body; his education and his recreation. He hardly
knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing,
and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears
to be doing both.

  -- François-René de Chateaubriand