maven-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Graham <chrisgw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:18:48 GMT
My preference is to always go for the lowest common denoninator, as it
gives the largest possible spread.

My 'grumbling' as Stephen put it [ :-) ], is more that I'd like people to
have an awareness that there are other platforms out there.

For example, the current IBM WAS 8.x stack defaults to Java 6, and Java 7
is an extra optional install. I'm not sure if there is an IBM Java 8
available (or being used in a product - I'm not sure, I've not looked, and
now, I no long can!).

Once the core moves the plugins will follow.

I don't necessarilly agree with the premise that those stuck on older
versions of Java will not want to use the newer core/plugins, especially as
backports of fixes are exceptionally uncommon.

But if you feel the pressing need to update, feel free.