maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:12:31 GMT
> Op Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:16:24 +0100 schreef Igor Fedorenko
> <igor@ifedorenko.com>:
>
>> Improvements to standard library, nio in particular, is another big
>> reason for me. For example, Files#walkFileTree is significantly faster
>> than comparable File-based implementation on large source trees. Knowing
>> the core is on java 7 will allow us use that in plexus-utils for example.
> IIUC Kristian already made it possible in plexus-utils to pick up these
> java7 NIO features when using that JRE version.

Actually Files.walkFileTree is just about the only NIO 7 feature we're
not using. Anyone have any specific pointers/experience that actually
show this being faster than the current strategy ?

I think the simplified generics alone are more than enough of a
"feature" to use java7. If you're restricted to java6 you might as
well stay on an old maven version too...

Kristian