maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:38:31 GMT
I have a biased data point to throw into the mix:

<pleading>

The Jenkins project would really like to ditch support for running on Java
6. When Maven releases a version that requires Java 7, and Olivier updates
the "evil" plugin to use the new Maven dependencies, then Jenkins can force
through dropping support for Java 6.

If all this can happen before May's LTS this year then I will be very happy
because that means in May 2016 I will no longer have to support CloudBees
customers running Java 6.

To get into the LTS that means we need a Maven release this month to allow
sufficient soak.

</pleading>

I don't buy Dennis' arg re wait until 3.4.0. To my mind if we are not
bumping to Java 7 then this release should be 3.2.6 not 3.3.0... If we are
calling it 3.3.0 then it should be Java 7+ in my mind

On Sunday, March 8, 2015, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:

> Le dimanche 8 mars 2015 16:17:39 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> > >
> > > what I don't like with this plan is that it is exactly what happened
> with
> > > 3.1.1 then 3.2.1: we never did any bugfix for 3.1.1, 3.1.1 was a dead
> > > branch for start. 3.2.2 bugfixes could/should have been backported to
> > > 3.1.1, but who will ever do that? (not me...)
> >
> > That is the normal state in open source software. Not many people will
> > volunteer to backport bugfixes to older release lines. It's a matter
> > of putting your limited resources where it does most good, and also
> > where your itch is. Usually this means working on HEAD.
> >
> > > I agree that the lack of schedule can be a problem if we decide to make
> > > the
> > > release this week-end: but if we take one week to integrate Java 7
> > > improvements (ie mostly syntax for better maintainability and a few new
> > > APIs) and take one week after that to test the result, IMHO we get a
> > > better plan: a new Maven version, with features and the assurance we'll
> > > do bugfix releases on it (the fact that it has upgraded Java
> requirement
> > > is just a fact on release notes)
> >
> > I'm not concerned that switching to Java 7 will introduce any new bugs
> > in core, at least not until we start using new Java 7 features.
> >
> > What we should do is think about what is best for our users. Let's
> > look at the pros and cons of the two alternatives:
> >
> > 1. Switch to Java 7 for Maven 3.3.0
> >
> > Bad: Users that are restricted to Java 6 for some reason will not be
> > able to benefit from the bug fixes and new features in 3.3.0
> > Good: One less release to make
> Good: people (few?) who really need new Maven features on old Java will
> learn
> to use Toolchains
>

> > 2. Switch to Java 7 for Maven 3.4.0
> >
> > Bad: One more release to make
> > Good: Users that are restricted to Java 6 for some reason will benefit
> > from the bug fixes and new features in 3.3.0, even though they might
> > not get any more bugfixes on that release line, because work focus
> > move to 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT as soon as 3.3.0 has been released
> >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> am

> before