maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:09:00 GMT
We never got a final official policy.

I believe the consensus was at least:

* all Java versions currently supported by Oracle and one back on a Major
version bump.

I think we should go with all Java versions currently supported by Oracle
on a Minor version bump... but there was some grumbling from Chris and I
didn't want to fracture the community at the time.

I think with Oracle being more strict it is reasonable that we start moving
on up.

Thus if we are to have a policy I would say that every minor version
release is supposed to work with any version line of Java that was under
public free support by Oracle at the time of the first release in our minor
version line.

Or in other words, 3.3.x would be JDK7 & JDK8 (it may work with JDK9 but we
cannot know until that is released)

Moving our base JDK up will allow us to compile with JDK7 bytecode which
will improve startup performance according to the rumours I have heard.