maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 23:36:04 GMT
Ok, the consensus is to move forward to Java7. I updated the POM and we're in no rush so give
it a whirl and we can think about releasing next week if the world doesn't blow up.

On Mar 5, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen <mfriedenhagen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I would go for JDK7 as well, in April it will be EOLed anyway. I do
> not understand why someone who is forced to use JDK6 or let alone JDK5
> is allowed (or has) to use the newest versions of build tools BTW. IMO
> it is stressful enough to support two JDKs (on different at least 3
> OSes).
> Regards Mirko
> --
> http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
> https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/ (http://osrc.dfm.io/mfriedenhagen)
> https://bitbucket.org/mfriedenhagen/
>

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Chris Graham <chrisgwarp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My preference is to always go for the lowest common denoninator, as it
>> gives the largest possible spread.
>>
>> My 'grumbling' as Stephen put it [ :-) ], is more that I'd like people to
>> have an awareness that there are other platforms out there.
>>
>> For example, the current IBM WAS 8.x stack defaults to Java 6, and Java 7
>> is an extra optional install. I'm not sure if there is an IBM Java 8
>> available (or being used in a product - I'm not sure, I've not looked, and
>> now, I no long can!).
>>
>> Once the core moves the plugins will follow.
>>
>> I don't necessarilly agree with the premise that those stuck on older
>> versions of Java will not want to use the newer core/plugins, especially as
>> backports of fixes are exceptionally uncommon.
>>
>> But if you feel the pressing need to update, feel free.
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:11 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarbaise@gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Hm..plexus-utils is used in many plugins which would cause them to upgrade
>>> to Java 7 as well ?

>>> Kind regards
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.

 -- John von Neumann