maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: AW: Release Notes in Plugin Sites
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:11:16 GMT
Hi Stephan,

On 3/10/15 1:26 PM, Krull, Stephan wrote:
> I agree that there is no HUGE benefit to it.

I wasn't talking about a HUGE benefit...I have asked if there is any
benefit....

I see only see a very very small to more or less no benefit at all......

 > Just a matter of conformity to common practices.

To which common practices ? All other projects do release
notes/changelogs manually...(either pages / files) which i don't like to
maintain...

Furthermore we have JIRA for every plugins / component...

> When you start to release will the release notes from the JIRA version be finished?

JIRA has simply a link to release notes....

Sometimes it happens that the content changes.....or later...The link is
fixed...but it changes from release to release...

 > That way one could append the link of the release notes
 >  to the project overview page before the maven
 > site generation for the release starts.

I would definitely prevent doing something manually ([1] there are
enough manual steps to do...)...which could lead in missing it...

> I would not vote for integrating the changes plugin if that leads to problems.

Not really problems, but sometimes it happens that issues will be
changed/added etc. which would result in different Release notes in JIRA
and on the generated page, cause the page will be generated during the
site generation process....and will not being changed afterwards...

If you have a single project which is released let's say every 3
months...it's not a problem to do such things...but here we have 49
plugins + (I don't know the number currently) of components etc. where
we do releases[2]...for...You can take a look into the quaterly
report[3] which gives you an impression how many releases we are doing...

May be someone of the other devs has a better idea...

BTW: That should not prevent you from creating a jira issue for this
idea ...and you might take a deeper look here into the project and may
be you a good solution for this or other problem...

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-announce/201503.mbox/browser
[3]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-announce/201501.mbox/%3C9815490.A2dQluKqs1%40herve-desktop%3E

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

you can find the information....

> Apart from that i could think of using maven-changes-plugin to handle this...which unfortunately
would make the release process more fragile...and which would mean to change the configuration
for all 49 plugins...(here on apache)...

> To be honest: Is that really worth the effort...?
>
> What do the other devs think?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> On 3/10/15 12:01 PM, Krull, Stephan wrote:
>> Hello Maven folks,
>>
>> I wonder if there is a possibility to include release notes for plugin versions into
the common maven site structure. the release notes are available via announcement email (i.e.
attached mail) or via JIRA issue tracker from i.e. http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/issue-tracking.html
.

>> It would be helpful to have that information included in the standard maven site
for an (official) plugin. Probably in a new section on the overview page (i.e. http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/index.html)
or a new menu entry under menu section "Project Information".