maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Suggestions User Information about Maven 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins / JDK
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:35:04 GMT
Hi,

here is my suggestions for the user list announcement regarding Maven
2.2.1 EoL / Plugins version lift / JDK etc.

Any enhancement / things which should also be mentioned please reply and
make appropriate changes / Thinks which i have missed...

Dear Maven Users,

based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago) now the time has
come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
Maven 2.X.

We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
2.2.1 in relationship with JDK 1.5

The complete list can be found here:

http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html

The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.X to
make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+ furthermore the
Java minimum requirement will lifted to JDK 1.6 as well.

No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:

  * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.4)
    See the docs of the plugin for usage in Maven 2.X

  * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.2)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1.

  * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1

  * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1 but needs JDK 1.6

The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement:

* maven-scm-publish-plugin (Version 1.1)
* maven-shade-plugin (Version 2.3)

So to make things more clearer here is an example:

Currently we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.

This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and JDK 1.5 minimum.

This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0 which has the
Maven minimum 3.0 AND Jave minimum 1.6.

Kind regards
The Apache Maven Team