maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: move maven core to java 7?
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2015 15:59:28 GMT
Le samedi 7 mars 2015 13:26:36 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> Le samedi 7 mars 2015 13:06:26 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> > > There is nothing stoping you from releasing 3.3.0 on Java 6 now, and
> > > 3.4.0
> > > on Java 7 in a few weeks.
> >
> > what I don't like with this plan is that it is exactly what happened with
>
> > 3.1.1 then 3.2.1:
> and before 2.1.0 vs 2.2.0
Since we're having 2 discussions in parallel for choices about future
compatibility between Java + Maven + plugins versions, I tried to make a
little drawing to illustrate the topic:

http://people.apache.org/~hboutemy/Maven%20Versions.png

(transparency represents current level of support, or more precisely is the
inverse of support)

In this drawing, we have the little 2.1 and 3.1 versions: I'd prefer avoiding
a little 3.3
Or we tell people that even minor versions are the most stable versions to
use.

While at it, I'll do a little bit of advertising :)
this drawing not only happens because of our discussion, but it's also because
I'm preparing a talk with Arnaud Héritier for Devoxx France, in April in
Paris, about Java versions and Maven tooling to build for multiple Java
versions: animal sniffer, toolchains, ...

http://cfp.devoxx.fr/2015/talk/FEM-9840/Quand_Java_prend_de_la_vitesse,_Apache_Maven_vous_garde_sur_les_rails

We'll do it in french, sorry for non-french speaking people :)
If some Maven dev wants to make a talk about this, don't hesitate to contact
Arnaud and I: we can share the slides (while creating them) and help
translating. It would be interesting to have multiple Maven devs doing the
same talk in multiple languages and countries

Regards,

Hervé