maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Version ranges and snapshots
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:09:22 GMT
Hi Jon,

Le dimanche 15 février 2015 21:41:52 Jon Harper a écrit :
> Hi,
> since there were no answers, I'm not sure I wrote to the correct mailing
> list for this problem.
good mailing list, but can of worm :)

> Can anyone direct me to someone who is interested in
> working on this issue ?
I can try to work on this once more: perhaps we'll manage to improve something

> For info, the docs have been saying the following for 7+ years:
> "groupId, artifactId, version:
> These elements are self-explanatory"
>
> The version element is *not* self-explanatory, especially regarding
> interactions between version ranges and *-SNAPSHOTs artifacts.
you're right: version *in dependencies* is not self explanatory (version in
Maven coordinates is self explanatory)
It has a lot of subtle features: preferred vs exact match, version range, then
the question of SNAPSHOTS

> Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
if you have little patches for the source of the page [1], I can review and we
can work and discuss on it step by step

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/content/apt/pom.apt