maven-dev mailing list archives

From Baptiste Mathus ...@batmat.net>
Subject Re: Releases, Continuous Delivery and the Future
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 09:31:52 GMT
Well, I for one find the x.y.z-nn somehow unusual. I'd prefer something
simple like x.y.z and I don't give a f*ck if some numbers are skipped.

+1 with Stephen: I've never seen someone complain about missing versions
neither on ML nor IRL. Sure, I suppose people might wonder where the 4.x
went if the next mvn version was to be 5.0, but apart (and even though)
from the major version, I don't see any developer ever complaining about
that.

Just then let's indeed have a changelog somewhere just for reference that
confirms that the x.y.foo was skipped and never released.
But I'm sure few people will have a look at it and it won't be a concern.

IMO, there are in fact 3 main cases:

1) people stuck with a corp version won't ever deal with that issue and use
what's provided
2) people wanting the latest version, will just go on the website on
download the first link seemingly being the latest one
3) people wanting to do a careful upgrade (certainly most often for the 1/
group, think build/release engineering team) would just carefully read the
release notes to see what bump is safe to do (this is typically what we do
for Jenkins for example)

My 2 cents.