maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preview release: Plexus Archiver multithreaded Zip edition
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:24:54 GMT
> Do you foresee any issues with "use all available CPU cores" when used on a
> shared resource like CI server?
> When writing guidelines for my customers' devs I'm always very firm on that
> build jobs are not allowed to fork (or similar) freely and thereby
> occupy more than their share of the resources on CI. Sure, I see the
> benefit for one job to do so but it will be on the expense of all other
> building jobs.

I was hoping to create a huge problem :) Right now I am not using a
ForkJoinPool (java7) which allows work stealing, so the current
algorithm seems to be somewhat exposed to the "last" thread slowing
everything down a little.

Creating a 256MB zip file with typical jar content has a compression
phase of 4 seconds on my 6 core machine, with 1.4 seconds in the
"gather" phase. You'd need some really huge zips for this to become a
real problem, and in that case I somehow assume you'd be happy with
the usage :)

There is a "nThreads" parameter in there somewhere, I was not
immediately planing on exposing that to client code. Nice patch for
someone to make :)