maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing the Checkstyle Plugin
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:44:27 GMT
There is some piece of code in Checkstyle 5.9 that uses Java 6+
classes/methods. I don't remember where, but it isn't covered by our
integration tests. I'll have a look at it tomorrow evening, and see if
I can produce an IT that catches it.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is whether we should
move maven_checks.xml out of maven-checkstyle-plugin and into a
separate resource jar. The rationale being that we (the Maven project)
will probably be stuck using maven-checkstyle-plugin 2.14 (for Java 5
projects) and 2.15 (for Java 6 projects). What happens when 2.16 is
released and we want to change maven_checks.xml?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
> Le vendredi 9 janvier 2015 13:29:06 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
>> I've started going through the open issues and have found a problem
>> that I need som help with. It turns out that Checkstyle 5.9 uses Java
>> 6 classes, even though it is not mentioned in the release notes. How
>> do we want to handle this? I see two possible options:
>>
>> 1. Make version 2.14 of the plugin require Java 6, and update it to
>> use the latest available version of Checkstyle that runs on Java 6.
>>
>> 2. Revert the plugin back to Checkstyle 5.8 and release 2.14 of the
>> plugin with a Java 5 requirement. After that release 2.15 of the
>> plugin fairly straight away with a Java 6 requirement, and using the
>> latest available version of Checkstyle that runs on Java 6. It should
>> be noted that Checkstyle 5.8 does NOT work on Java 8 source code.
>>
>> Perhaps there are other alternatives? What do you think?
> I just built and ran ITs with Checkstyle 5.9 on JDK5 without any issue: can
> you check too? Since Checkstyle 5.9 supports Java 8 syntax, upgrading would be
> really great while keeping our plan for minimum Java version
> This is key before releasing
>
> Everyting else I wanted to fix/improve for the next release is done
> I'll be happy to vote on a release I'm not managing myself :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to release version 2.14 of Maven Checkstyle Plugin. The main
>> > motive for 2.14 is the ability to check Java 8 source code.
>> >
>> > According to the road map there are 5 unresolved issues scheduled for
>> > 2.14.
>> >
>> > https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jir
>> > a.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel
>> >
>> > If anyone is interested in fixing one or more of these for 2.14 now
>> > would be a good time to do it. Just reply here with an estimated time
>> > frame. If noone has the time for this now, I'll reschedule those
>> > issues for 2.15, which will require Java 6.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg