maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Maven 3.2.4 Release
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2014 19:55:52 GMT
The fixes have been made, I'll recut the release.

On Dec 13, 2014, at 9:44 AM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@ifedorenko.com> wrote:

> I've already reintroduced DefaultJavaToolChain and Tycho is happy now [1].
>
> Tycho needs access to DefaultJavaToolChain#getJavaHome() which, to the
> best of my knowledge, is not available from any other API, is not
> available through ToolchainManager.
>
> I don't believe Tycho references JavaToolChain interface. As a side
> note, in the future we should avoid case-only renames like
> JavaToolChain->JavaToolchain, these cause problems on case-insensitive
> filesystems, like the ones used by Windows and OSX.
>
> We don't distinguish between public and internal classes in Maven, at
> least not generally. There are few classes that are explicitly marked as
> @provisional, like ArtifactDescriptorReaderDelegate for example, but
> this is not enforced and majority of classes are not marked in any way.
> I agree we need to have a mechanism to distinguish between public and
> internal classes and I have few ideas to do this, but I don't think we
> can do this retroactively. We have to keep most/all existing classes and
> treat them as public API, unfortunately. Maybe mark them as deprecated
> when we know we will likely change them in the future, but any real
> change has to wait Maven 4, and I am not sure we'll be able to afford
> massive breakage even then.
>
> [1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=d6e45a5d56ab0facd36751ccee722db6a2006f50
>
> --
> Regards,
> Igor
>
> On 2014-12-13, 9:04, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>> ok, I had a look at Tycho sources:
>> this is something introduced recently (10/10/2014): IIUC, Tycho 0.22.0 was
>> released since then
>>
>> I'm surprised of tycho-core's ToolchainProvider: IIUC, that's a rewrite of a
>> part of maven-toochains-plugin, depending on ToolchainManagerPrivate which is
>> not part of public API
>> IIUC, the intent was to get the configured toolchain: since then, I wrote a
>> little doc for that [1] to show how to use ToolchainManager to do exactly that
>> using normal Maven API
>>
>> Notice this won't fix everything, since:
>> 1. Tycho needs JavaToochain, which has been renamed (Toolchain vs ToolChain)
>> 2. the interface doesn't offer expected getJavaHome() API
>>

>> Then you'll need to cast to DefaultJavaToolChain, which will need to be added
>> back to maven-core: I'll do it immediately.
>>
>> I don't know the Tycho community, but using ToolchainManager would IMHO be
>> more future-proof than writing ToolchainProvider
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>

>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-toolchains-plugin/toolchains/custom.html
>>

>> Le samedi 13 décembre 2014 09:13:50 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
>>> DefaultJavaToolChain? you mean the implementation?
>>>
>>> Can you give me pointers to the Tycho sources that use this API?
>>> (that's clearly not expected)
>>>
>>> I'm in favor of introducing deprecated DefaultJavaToolChain
> [...]

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that
is,
the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

 -- John Kenneth Galbraith