maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:57:31 GMT
Hi,

let me summarize things a little bit:

 > Last time discussed this we established a consensus to establish 3.0.5
 > (maybe 3.0.6) as a minimum baseline for the 3.x range of plugins.

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/msg102539.html

that was not three months ago...so the line to lift all plugins to 2.2.1
minimum is not very far way...

I would assume a month or two...I hope less..

https://builds.apache.org/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

maven-enforcer: next takes a little bit..working on it...
maven-ear-plugin: waiting for a feedback (on monday i hope so). After
that i will call a VOTE for it...
maven-jar-plugin: currently one issue open.....
maven-gpg-plugin: could be released...
maven-plugin-plugin: currently no issue open for the 3.4 release (so
could be pushed out in very short time)
maven-compiler-plugin: just to fit 2.2.1 could be released
maven-antrun-plugin: Release 1.8 prepared (i would call a vote in a few
days).
maven-jarsigner-plugin: Could be released...to fullfil 2.2.1

maven-archetype-plugin: Takes some time...started to work on it

So now the problematic items:

maven-ant-plugin: Should be retired
maven-doap-plugin: Might be retired
maven-stage-plugin: Might be retired
maven-docck-plugin: Might be retired Unsure
maven-patch-plugin: Should be retired (better use VCS for such things).
maven-repository-plugin: Might be retired
maven-verifier-plugin: Should be retired
maven-eclipse-plugin: Should be retired to bring people to correct
direction and use m2e instead

So now coming to the maven releases:

Maven 3.0.X line
  No change for a year (https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/maven-3.0.x)
  No issue related to 3.0.X line in JIRA

Maven 3.1.X Line
  No change for 10 months (https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/maven-3.1.x)
  No issue related to 3.1.X line in JIRA

So next level upgrading will be 3.0.5 minium....

So we should declare EoL for Maven 3.0.5 in Februar 2015...or earlier...
and for 3.1.1 in April...

So based on the above i would say moving to Java 1.6 does really make
sense although it is inconsistent from the user point of view...but
making a clear release note shouldn't be that hard to make...

So +1 to move to 1.6....

This should be made clear by making all plugin versions to bump to 3.0
(some of them are already there in relationship with Maven 3 minimum).

And for all things which have problem we could make a branch from the
latest releases and fix it there...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
On 12/24/14 2:20 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>> Oops. Snappy contains 1.6 java bytecode, which breaks the build on maven plugins.
We need to upgrade to 1.6; I'm taking this to the mailing list :)