maven-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Astle <timothy.as...@caris.com>
Subject Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:26:10 GMT
I have a situation/problem/use-case where I would like to take a
collection of XML schemas and create a bundle of themso that they could
be included into other projects.  The destination projects vary.  Some
are written in Java, some in C++, etc. So I'd like to produce amore
platform agnostic bundling artifact. At the moment, we lean on
Subversion externals, which I really dislike doing.

In this type of case, I figured a ZIP packaging type would have
described the project and produced the expected output, while using
Maven.  A big thing that I like about Maven is how you model the
project. Plugins are great, but opening up a POM and seeing the
packaging type is just so nice and explicit.

There are several ways I can accomplish my goal, but somewhere,
deepdown, Ihad hoped that I'd live long enough to see a first-class ZIP
packaging type become available. :-)

Tim

On 11/12/2014 4:41 AM, domi wrote:
> Hmm, not sure I agree - I think its just fact that users would love to have simpler way
to create ZIPs/TARs
> and the most logical/simple way (from a users point of view) to do this is a packaging
typ for these.
> Domi
>

> On 11.12.2014, at 09:27, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well the real question is what would you do with dependencies?
>>
>> So, for example, if you have a zip dependency, do you unpack it and overlay
>> or do you copy it in? Or do you do nothing and leave it to the dependency
>> plugin?
>>
>> What about zip vs tar.gz dependency? If building a zip I might expect
>> exploding the zip dependencies and copy tar.gz?
>>
>> A better approach might be an "assembly" packaging with a default
>> assembly descriptor directory and if empty it falls back to zip and tar.gz
>> of target/classes with the resources plugin being in the default lifecycle
>> binding
>>
>> That would make using the assembly plugin less work and ack the fact that a
>> zip or tar.gz needs the descriptor to control file permissions
>>
>> On Thursday, December 11, 2014, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but I don't think making a specific plugin just for adding zip
>>> packaging is optimal. Hence the idea of having it in the assembly plugin.
>>> Thinking of it though, one very likely wants to create both a zip and a tar
>>> file. So maybe the packaging type should be something else, and then it
>>> creates both types. But then I always advocate that one maven project
>>> should only create one artifact...hmm.
>>>
>>> /Anders

>>> but
>>> packaging