maven-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Patrick <robert.patr...@oracle.com>
Subject RE: MNG-1683: Zip packaging
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 06:25:33 GMT
But there is nothing stopping people from adding custom packaging types, right?  The real question
is there enough demand to warrant folding it into Maven itself versus making the people that
need it define it themselves.  We have defined a number of custom packaging types for our
own component archive formats and it is pretty straightforward...

--
Robert Patrick <robert.patrick@oracle.com>
VP, FMW Platform Engineering, Oracle Corporation
7460 Warren Pkwy, Ste. 300	Office: +1.972.963.2872
Frisco, TX 75034, USA		Mobile: +1.469.556.9450

Professional Oracle WebLogic Server
by Robert Patrick, Gregory Nyberg, and Philip Aston
with Josh Bregman and Paul Done
Book Home Page: http://www.wrox.com/
Kindle Version: http://www.amazon.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Benedict [mailto:pbenedict@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:38 PM
To: Apache Maven Developers
Subject: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Recently I needed to create zip artifacts for overlays into WAR. Maven doesn't have support
for "zip" packaging type projects, but MNG-1683 wants to introduce it.

I am curious why this issue has been ignored. Is it just a lack of time or interest? Or is
there a philosophical issue behind the delay? I can't see much difference between the zip
lifecycle and jar lifecycle except there is no default "compile" or "test" bindings.

Cheers,
Paul