maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Improving docs for toolchains (WAS: Re: [DISCUSS] removing Maven 3.1.1 from proposed downloads)
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2014 08:51:14 GMT
On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just starting to look at toolchains, with the goal of using Java 5 for
> jobs in latest Jenkins LTS version.

I have this working now.

> Here are a few reflections from what I've read so far.
>
> Great to have a toolchains reference. It is in core site where it belongs.
> It needs to be expanded with more explanations though. We should link to the
> reference from the plugin and the guide. The xsd used needs to be added to
> the main Maven site in the xsd directory.
>
> There are currently 3 wiki pages used or referenced. One Codehaus page [1]
> that is linked from the plugin site which doesn't exist. One abandoned page
> at Codehaus [2] that has been superceeded by one at ASF when we moved the
> wiki. The corresponding page ar ASF Confluence is in the OLD supposedly
> unused wiki space [3]. In my opinion we need exactly one user-writable wiki
> page and it should be in ASF Confluence wiki space if possible.
>
> [1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Toolchains+Plugin
> [2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains
> [3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Toolchains
>
> Information regarding support in plugins should be on the main Maven site,
> so that we can update it quickly when new plugins support it. The others
> should just link to that page. The current info on supporting plugins is...
> diverse. We need to move the correct info to the above mentioned page.
>
> Having a downloadable working example project (zip), with clear installation
> instructions, would be a great way for people to easily get started with
> toolchains. I'll see if I can put one together as I explore toolchains more.

Looking into this I'm a bit puzzled. Version 1.1-SNAPSHOT of
maven-toolchains-plugin bind by default to the validate phase, but it
doesn't run unless I specify an execution for it. If I have it
specified in build/plugins with configuration but no execution it
doesn't run. If I add the execution it runs. What am I missing?

> --
> Dennis Lundberg
>
> Den 1 nov 2014 00:37 skrev "Hervé BOUTEMY" <herve.boutemy@free.fr>:
>
>> I started improving documentation on toochains:
>> - in core [1]
>> - in m-toolchains-p [2]
>>
>> feedback appreciated
>>
>> next step is documenting how to create a custom toolchain: any pointer to
>> some
>> working extra-toolchain (or even archetype, let's dream)?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-core/
>>
>> [2]