maven-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Adopt Mr Couché-Tard as our mascot, change the logo font to Alte Haas Grotesk, change the colour letter to "v"
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:32:56 GMT
Am 2014-11-20 um 22:20 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> On Thursday, November 20, 2014, Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 2014-11-20 um 21:21 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>>
>>> My opinion on this:
>>>
>>> I do not like the connection between the owl and the word maven.
>>> While the owl stands for wisdom in the Greek culture as on the Greek
>>> euro coins, Maven is not of Greek origin. It is cleary of Hebrew/Jewish
>>> [1] origin. I see no connection here. I would rather see an old and wise
>>> man.
>>

> Well one advantage the owl has is that there is no obvious gender - apart
> from my unconscious bias referring to it as Mr :-P - whereas the wise old
> man could be perceived as biased, agest, sexist or belittling to wise women
> (irrespective of age)
>
> For that reason I think an animal with no obvious gender differences is
> probably a better fit

You obviously misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about genders and nor
am I tied to a man specifically. The point is, the owl is not rooted in
the Jewish culture as is the word/meaning of maven not rooted in the
Greek one.

Moreover, the mascot name might violate trademarks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alimentation_Couche-Tard

I don't want Apache Maven to be linked to a convenience store from Canada.

Michael