maven-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Gudian <andreas.gud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Ease the usage of Failsafe
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:56:37 GMT

> Personally, I wonder why we don't merge them.
>
> Failsafe adds some lifestyle phase bindings and then changes some
> defaults. Otherwise, it's a giant anti-DRY. Why not expand surefire to
> have the extra executions with shifted defaults for things like test
> class names?

As Surefire and Failsafe are practically the same with only differences in
their lifecycle binding, default values for some of the configuration
parameters and distinct properties for the parameters (e.g. -Dtest=.. vs.
-Dit.test=...), there wouldn't be much to merge. Both are rather slim
specializations of the same abstract mojo implementation.

I can't think of something that you can't technically do with the one mojo
that you can do with the other. Merging them would just make it harder to
configure the different executions for the different phases.

It's just depending on the use case, which of them is already
out-of-the-box configured to match the requirements - or is at least close
to it.