maven-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject Re: Toolchains part of Maven distribution / global toolchains
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:56:30 GMT
Hello,

I think the user config has already a very big meaning because of
multiple reasons:

Typically developer workstations and CI servers all are single-user
only. So the builds are always executed with the same user. So there is
nobody complayning if the system is not configured on a system level.
This is especially true as people stay away from modifying system
config files if they are part of the software distribution and get
updated.

This is (in my thinking) the main reason why the focus on ~/.m2.
However of course I would agree the configuration is symmetric, so it
should also look for a system wide toolchain file.

BTW: I see there another problem. Toolchains are seldomly used. There
is still a lot of dicussions on enforcers/source/target versions.
Having a toolchain declaration would fix all of them at the same time,
so it is much preferred. Maybe all plugins should mention toolchain as
the better alternative for those parameters?

(And if would be good to actually fill the gaps on this wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Toolchains).

Related to this, can a system dependency refer to a toolchain home?
(especially rt.jar or similiar needs).

Gruss
Bernd