maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Plexus Archiver / Plexus Components
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 13:46:36 GMT
There have been companies who have submitted bodies of code to Apache, and there have been
projects consisting of individuals submitting bodies of code. We're not doing anything new.
The Apache Incubator can be used for this case and there are likely people there who have
dealt with this case and have seen it.  There will also be people from the legal groups on
the incubator mailings lists and we can just do what the last project did. I don't think we're
unique here.

On Sep 9, 2014, at 9:30 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io> wrote:
>
>> I don't think we should attempt to make up new procedures here. Just use
>> the standard Apache Incubation process if you're going to move a body of
>> code. I don't think it will take long and then all the bases are covered
>> and everyone else there can inspect the procedure.
>>

> It does not apply, because there is no single owner to sign off on it. So
> one way or the other, we are adapting. At this point, I'd strongly advise
> seeking input from VP, Legal.
>

>> On Sep 9, 2014, at 9:08 AM, Stephen Connolly <
>> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The key bit is "we've all agreed" where the "we" is the Plexus
>> contributors
>>> and the "agreed" is some documentation that the contributors agreed,
>> which
>>> is what the mail would be

>> "YOU"
>> these
>> repository to

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
>> or who has said it,
>> not even if i have said it,
>> unless it agrees with your own reason
>> and your own common sense.
>>
>> -- Buddha

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks