maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Ivy style versions propagating in Maven central
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2014 02:22:15 GMT

On Sep 19, 2014, at 9:35 PM, William Ferguson <william.ferguson@xandar.com.au> wrote:

> Because of the rise of Gradle usage to its inclusion as the build tool in
> Android Studio, there are more and more artifacts making their way into
> Maven Central whose POMs contain elements that do not conform to Maven
> expectations.
>
> A good example is this POM:
> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Ccom.squareup%7Cfest-android%7C1.0.8%7Cjar
>
> It has a dependency that uses the Gradle/Ivy version syntax of 19.1+ to
> indicate a range.
> Maven does not parse this version string and dies.
>
> So the question is what should be done about it.
>
> Some ideas:
>
>   1. Maven central starts verifying and rejecting malformed POMs with a
>   reason for rejection.

+1

This is just terrible syntax and doesn't follow any normal set notation established by any
existing systems. Normal set notation works perfectly fine and using something else is not
really a boon for anyone.

>   2. Maven starts handling the Gradle/Ivy version syntax either as
>      1. an optional extra
>      2. a permanent move forward (configurable to support backward
>      compatibility)
>
> William

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.

-- Edward Gibbon