maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: MCHANGES-341: Best way to configure specific Mojo
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:16:34 GMT
Hi,

> My guess is that javadoc:javadoc holds the record[1].

If i count correctly 98 parameters..wow...i didn't expect being so much...

> For remote systems a timeout parameter makes sense.
> I would expect that users are familiar with the parameter pages.

Yes this is the source of information....

> If you start introducing an environment variable, it'll become a hidden
> feature only visible to those few who read FAQs.

This is one point on the other hand it makes your build depending on the
environment...which i don't like...

> thanks,
> Robert
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html
>
> Op Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:24:47 +0200 schreef Mirko Friedenhagen
> <mfriedenhagen@apache.org>:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I want to take a stance at above issue[1]. REST-requests to JIRA
>> timeout after +- 30 seconds right now. Internally we use a
>> misconfigured JIRA instance where the call to the status-URL needs 4
>> minutes (400.000 issues with 400 resolutions, that is what happens
>> when 120 people are JIRA-admins ;-))!
>>
>> Should I just add additional parameters to the announcement-generate,
>> announcement-mail and jira-report?
>> Maybe it would be better to use environment variables as these mojo
>> already have loads of configuration parameters and the use case is
>> very specific.

A supplemental parameter has an other advantage you can simply add it,
define a default value which can be handled by the existing mechanisms...

If you like to do the same for an environment variable you need to do
suplemental things...

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise