maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Github pull requests for Maven Core
Date Sat, 31 May 2014 15:29:57 GMT
On May 31, 2014, at 11:05 AM, Baptiste Mathus <ml@batmat.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do you mean by "squashing" commits?

That a pull request should consist of a single, coherent commit. So during the development
of the pull request it may consist of several commits but in its final form it needs to be
a single commit that corresponds to the change. You normally use "git rebase -i sha1-before-your-changes"
to associate all changes with one commit. You refer to this as squashing. Generally I now
try to add a feature or change in a single commit, makes the history easier to look at.

> Do you mean:
> *  intermediate crappy/local commits that were incorrectly pushed as-is
> without having been "rebased interactively" to provide a clean and
> understandable history (see the link provided by Hervé as an example)
> * or that any PR should be squashed into one and only one commit?
>
> I totally agree with the first proposition, but would disagree with the
> latter.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.

>> I'm happy to look at pull requests but in the future can anyone making a
>> pull request please squash your commits before making the pull request.
>>
>> Eventually I want to use Gerrit and create a mechanism where pull requests
>> can be tested against the ITs to make it easier for contributors to know
>> they haven't broken anything.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
>>
>>  -- Shakespeare
>>
>> --
>> Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
>> Sauvez un arbre,
>> Mangez un castor ! nbsp;!

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that
is,
the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

 -- John Kenneth Galbraith