maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Maven 4.0.0] Removing ability for plugins to dynamically inject dependencies
Date Sun, 06 Apr 2014 20:47:43 GMT
Op Sun, 06 Apr 2014 20:54:24 +0200 schreef Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io>:

> On Apr 6, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> if we are talking about immutable classpath I agree. But there's
>> something else which needs to be improved.
>> Let me describe it with the maven-javadoc-plugin, but there are more
>> plugins suffering the same problem.
>> You must be able to specify doclettags artifact. There are
>> dependencies, but they are not added to the classpath. These jars are
>> added to a different argument of the javadoc executable.
>>

> So the generic category is the downloading of artifacts that are passed
> into the command line of an executable? So the plugin already has a
> dependencies element but the javadoc plugin has a special element such
> that you can get hold of these dependencies to feed into the command
> line. Yes? I believe we can make this generic and prevent plugins from
> having to do their own resolution logic.
>
>> I see two solutions:
>> - mark these fields in the plugin as being dependencies, which must be
>> resolved.
>> - add a custom field to the plugin-dependency in the pom.xml, so the
>> plugin knows which dependencies are used for which purpose.
>>
>> With both solutions it should also be possible for the
>> maven-release-plugin to verify all used dependencies, which is
>> impossible right now.
>>

> The think the second would be better. We already have a <dependencies/>
> element which are added to the classpath of the executing plugin, but
> another element like, say, <artifacts/> can just be downloaded and
> injected into the plugin such that it can do what it likes with the
> files of the downloaded artifacts. Would this satisfy the requirement of
> the javadoc plugin?

I think this will work. A quick look at the javadoc plugin shows me the
following <artifacts/>:
- additionalDependencies: capability to add optionnal dependencies to the
javadoc classpath.
- bootclasspathArtifacts: Specifies the artifacts where the boot classes
reside.
- docletArtifacts: Specifies multiple artifacts containing the path for
the doclet starting class file (specified with the -doclet option).
- resourcesArtifacts: A list of artifacts containing resources which
should be copied into the Javadoc output directory (like stylesheets,
icons, etc.).
- tagletArtifacts: Specifies several Taglet artifacts containing the
taglet class files (.class). These taglets class names will be auto-detect
and so no need to specify them.

These are artifacts which must be downloaded, and they are all specified
as groupId/artifactId/version. I don't see additional elements, but we
need to investigate other plugins as well.

Maybe worth a separate wiki page.

thanks,
Robert