maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Why is dependency:unpack evil
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:14:33 GMT

On Apr 12, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
>> after thinking more at it, it seems the "scope" for such artifacts is the
>> plugin parameter name
>>

> I'm forking off a new thread here.
>
> A maven repository is a lovely place to keep all sorts of data used in
> builds: test data, templates of one sort of another. Data pushed to a
> repo is accessible from Maven, ant, and plain old command lines via
> just plain wget.
>
> However, for large objects, the Maven local repo can avoid a whole lot
> of time spent shoving bytes around the network. So, using 'wget' or
> some sort of wagon plugin is not as nice as dependency:copy or
> :unpack.
>
> If I'm following this thread, some people dislike this because it is
> our of the usual maven pattern of declaring rather than instructing: I
> should declare that I need a:b:1.0:zip.
>
> However, I'm failing to see the great advantage of being required to
> specify _both_ a dependency and then a slug of XML configuration to a
> plugin to specify the details of how something gets unpacked.

This can also be declarative.

If you're talking about build time the AAR example in Android is an example of the requirement
to download something, move some bits around, and add it to the classpath. Same as a normal
dependency except there are some bit swizzling instructions. In the pure build I believe any
requirement to use the dependency plugin can be removed. This would be implemented as a smarter
artifact handler that knows how to deal with AARs. Can still be purely declarative so we can
analyze, reason about and execute.

If you're talking about making a distribution where you're putting together a bunch of files
the dependency plugin is very handy.

> I think that Hervé is trying to help me by suggesting that I shouldn't
> need the dependency: that just calling out the coordinates to
> something like :unpack should result in resolution via injection.
>
> Then what changes?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to act in accordance
with your thinking.

 -- Johann von Goethe