maven-dev mailing list archives

From William Ferguson <william.fergu...@xandar.com.au>
Subject Re: [Maven 4.0.0] Removing ability for plugins to dynamically inject dependencies
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:47:42 GMT
Just wanted to through 2c in.

Jason, you mentioned supporting other uses cases such an Android builds. I
thought I'd explain what's required from that perspective.

The Android team have defined an Android archive (AAR) that holds a JAR and
various Android resources. When the AAR is declared as a dependency the JAR
needs to be added to the classpath during compilation and the Android
resources need to be processed at various phases. At the moment the
classpath needs to be modified dynamically via a LifecycleParticipant during
*afterProjectsRead*, but this has problems in certain multi-module builds.

I'd love to see a way in which the definition of the AAR dependency results
in a declarative addition of the embedded JAR to the classpath.

For mine, if a few things need to break in 4.0 to get a cleaner underlying
structure that provides more long term flexibility and stability then so be
it.

William