maven-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Magnay <nigel.mag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Model Version 5.0.0
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:41:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Baptiste Mathus <bmathus@batmat.net> wrote:

> FWIW, I'm aware it's easily feasible to add that checksum validation in a
> plugin, but you'll still have to repeat the coordinates.
> And that very thing was my point: I don't think having to repeat those
> coordinates to add metadata is great.
>
> Not even saying this *must* go in modelVersion 5, I just wanted that debate
> to happen at least for future reference if people wonder why maven pom
> can't store that dependency metadata (DRY'ly alongside its data, I mean).

There's all sorts of other per-dependency information that would be
useful, for example - flex applications needing to store RSL deployment
paths and policy file urls.

The 'maven way' seems to be sentenced to perennially repeat yourself, and
live with the fact your plugin config and your dependency list can drift
out of sync. Or to suffer some kind of excuse of 'just specify the
dependencies you want to apply this metadata to with some kind of regular
expression (!)'.

XML even has a well-understood extension mechanism for this kind of thing.

<dependency security:sha1="1234567890abcdef" >
  <groupId>com.woo</groupId>
  <artifactId>yay</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <flex:rslInfo>
      <flex:deployment-path>/blah/blah</flex:deployment-path>
      <flex:policy-file>/woo/policy.xml</flex:policy-file>
  </flex:rslInfo>
</dependency>

<plugins>
  <plugin>
     /// some plugin that enforces security:sha1
.... etc etc etc

If your tooling doesn't understand namespaced nodes, it's trivial to strip
them.