maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [MNG-5551] Java 8 + Maven status
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 07:11:58 GMT
why didn't we detect the failure when building the plugin and running ITs with
JDK 8 = somthing we did a long time ago and that I was conviced would give us
more accurate results than what we finally have?

I had a quick look at ITs, and it seems that the compiler plugin is configured
to generate 1.5 bytecode
IMHO, we need to add an IT generating 1.8 bytecode to make tests and show the
failure before fixing and being sure the fix is complete.
I didn't have time to really test, but I hope such discussion can help us
improve JDK8 support more rapidly
And find every other place where JDK8 compatibility won't be automatic: looking
for asm is one way, but I suppose there may be problems for tools not using
asm

Regards,

Hervé