maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How alive is Plexus?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2014 17:32:54 GMT
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io> wrote:
> The original Plexus implementation is dead and has been for quite a while, even for us.
We don't actually use Plexus the container anymore. The extensions that were written for Plexus
that sit atop Sisu is the effective Plexus implementation we are using today. What this is
in practice, for us, is supporting the Plexus way of finding component metadata and automatically
creating the bindings we need so that those Plexus components run in Guice. But Maven runs
on top of Guice via Sisu, not Plexus. Maven's core doesn't use any of the plexus lifecycle
support either. That said we have tons of components and plugins out in the wild that use
the Plexus idioms and we'll have to support that for many years even if there is no trace
of Plexus in Maven's core. Which is why we have the Sisu plexus shim.

> I am pretty close to removing all Plexus annotations from Maven's core and with a bit
of work in the CLI the core will be almost entirely JSR330 running on Guice, but Guice itself
is visible in a few places where we have some custom scopes and where the Injector is brought
to life.

> If you don't need any dynamic creation of bindings like we do (our plugin and extension
mechanism) then I highly recommend you take a look at Dagger. This is the DI container that
Square created and looks like more Google people are working on it now than Square employees.
This looks like the successor to Guice and is 24 classes currently, easy to read and works
super well in constrained environments like Android and therefore is super fast for normal
applications.

> https://github.com/square/dagger

I'll go read. Thanks.