maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Once we get 3.2.x started... how about we try and get a speed up?
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:38:25 GMT
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:03 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On 13 February 2014 14:51, Jason van Zyl <jason@takari.io> wrote:
>>
>>> I've proposed the shorter vote period and criteria for releasing. I think
>>> if the ITs pass and it is for fixes to regressions, changes that we are
>>> marking as provisional, or functionality that have no API implications
>>> (like improvements to the CLI) I think those point releases can go out as
>>> soon as possible. For new features or APIs we will have to support
>>> indefinitely, no.
>>>

>> That is why I am suggesting the 3.2.x branch only
>>
>> Once we get the first 3.2.x release out I envision we will start on 4.0.x
>>

> I plan on continuing some refactoring in the core. I also think with some of the added
extension points, and a few more that all the features we want in 4.0 can be a clean superset
on 3.x. This was part of the thinking in how 3.x was designed.

> All the new POM format work can be done with what's currently there, almost everything
I can think of can be done. Mixins would be nicer with a small change in the model builder
but a form can be done with what's there now.

>> So 3.2.x will really be maintenance mode ;-)
>>
>> We should probably declare all of 2.x end of life... I'd be happy to say
>> 3.0.x is end of life too if others agree... but those are for other votes
>>

> I don't think we need to EOL it, nor should we. I think most users are on 3.x now but
just barely the majority. As I said above I don't think there are any features we want in
4.0 that can be done with extensions to the core.

EOL is an Apache Thing. If we're not going to fix it, it's considered
polite to EOL it.

> The frequency of releases will happen when more people work on the core. I don't think
there is any magic that is going to make releases come out faster.