maven-dev mailing list archives

From Lennart Jörelid <lennart.jore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Maven JVM Runtime requirements
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:22:12 GMT
There is a fine line between stability and missing out on good, newer
features.
IMHO, requiring Maven to use code/language features no newer than those of
a JDK twice
deprecated by Oracle lands on the "missing out on good newer features".

Without listing any nice-to-have features in more recent languages, I would
argue that Maven's
implementation would benefit from a policy along the lines of "Maven should
support the current
Oracle JDK major version and the major previous version" (although better
phrased by Stephen
earlier in this thread).

Having said that ...

The other option is to infer modularization on the classloading level
today, which is a nice
(although potentially rather complex) structural exercise that prepares us
for JDK modularity
released in what is now believed to be JDK 9. Classloading-level modularity
could enable us
to develop and load only JDK X-compliant modules at runtime, permitting
folks that would like
to support elder JDK versions to implement parts of Maven in elder Java
versions.

Java Modularity today is more or less synonymous with OSGi or JBoss
Modules, both of which
would infer some rather strict technical structural demands into Maven's
codebase - so that path
may should not be one taken lightly.