maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 09:42:38 GMT
On Saturday, 4 January 2014, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 4:56 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Doing so would make the next version 4.0 and not 3.2
> >
> > I don't mind if we want to do that, but we were supposed to be pushing a
> > 3.2 out at the start of Oct and I do wonder what the status is there
> >

> 3.1.1 was released on September 17th so we're a bit overdue for trying to
> keep the quarterly schedule, but I asked to update the source levels
> because it was after September. I didn't know that implied a release right
> then. But then an email discussion chain ensued and I lost track.
>
> If we're going to bump to 4.0 then I will sift through the core and look
> for more deprecated code. Might as well do a removal, and bump the runtime
> level to 1.6.

I guess my PoV is what new features are we adding that make it a 4.0?

I personally think we should cut 3.2 with the 1.6 bump and get that out

For The 4.0 version number I would like to see some new features...

Otoh we could hold off new features for 5.0 with the excuse that we were
aligning maven's version number with the modelVersion to remove
confusion.., but that is a card we can only play once

> > On Saturday, 4 January 2014, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> >> I'm doing some cleanup in the core in preparation for some refactoring
> I'd
> >> like to propose in the coming months and the deprecated methods  in
> >> MavenSession have been there for over 4 years. I'd like to, at some
> point
> >> soon, be able to move the core and plugins to toward being fully JSR330
> so
> >> I'd like to start purging references to Plexus. There are lots of them
> in
> >> MavenSession.
> >>
> >> If no one has any objections I'd like to remove the deprecated
> >> constructors and methods from MavenSession.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven