maven-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Fedorenko <i...@ifedorenko.com>
Subject Re: core maven plugins and file handle leaks...
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:24:31 GMT
I think maven core uses variation of 2), where classloaders that
implement Closeable get closed [1]. I recommend doing the same in the
core plugins too. Anything more elaborate seems like a waste of effort
given the core will still leak file handles on java 6 and earlier and
the number of users on these earlier jvm is bound to go down.

[1]
https://github.com/sonatype/plexus-classworlds/blob/master/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/classworlds/ClassWorld.java#L105

--
Regards,
Igor

On 1/30/2014, 3:38, James Nord (jnord) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 1.    I have discovered a few file handle leaks in core plugins  - which leads to random
build failures with large multi-module projects.

> Before I go and make & submit some changes I wanted to ask what's likely to be accepted
(in the case where this is classloader related[1]).

> 1)    Use JDK7 only and call URLClassLoader.close()
>
> 2)    Use reflection to do the same (would only fix the issue when run on JDK7+)
>
> 3)    Use reflection to access Oracle private methods in JDK<7 and generic in JDK7+
(would not work when run on non oracle JVMs <7)