maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Install question for Maven 3.0 on PPC/10.4.11/ant 1.6.5
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:22:36 GMT
Try adding:

	<mkdir dir="bootstrap/target/classes/META-INF/maven/org.apache.maven/maven-core" />

before the <echo> task on line 236

On 7 Nov 2013, at 13:27, Ed Mansky wrote:

> I saw the requirement for Ant 1.8 or later. The encoding option in the echo task is new
since Ant 1.7.

> To install ant 1.7, 1.8 or 1.8.4 requires JUnit to already be present.
> Unfortunately, to build JUnit you need maven in place.
>
> Hence my attempt to install/build maven.
>
> I found that I was able to build and install maven version 2.2.1 fine on Tiger/ppc.
>
> Apparently there have been a lot of changes in the build.xml file between 2.2.1 and 3.x
versions of maven.

> Now, typing "mv install" in the Junit folder results in "Unable to build project ...junit/pom.xml;
it requires Maven version 3.0.4"

> which is a different issue involving building junit 4 with maven 2.
>
> --Ed
>
>> The README.bootstrap.txt from the source tree states the pre-requisites for building
the bootstrap code are:

>> 	- Java 1.5
>> 	- Ant 1.8 or later
>>
>> Whereas you're using Ant 1.6.5 - this is likely the problem, because 1.6.5 doesn't
support the use of an encoding in the echo task (this is what creates that particular pom.properties
file)

>> On 6 Nov 2013, at 14:36, Ed Mansky wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install Maven from source code on a PowerMac G4 PPC 7450 running
10.4.11 and with
>>> Java JDK 1.5 and Ant 1.6.5 installed.
>>>
>>> I am getting an error from line #236 of build.xml (java.io.FileNotFoundException:
...full path to pom.properties file)

>>> Apparently the pom.properties file that is expected to be the bootstrap area
for that target (compile-boot) to run, is missing.

>>> The missing file "pom.properties" is indeed located in the source code tree in:
>>>
>>> maven-core/src/test/resources/META-INF/maven/org.apache.maven/maven-core
>>>
>>> I am new to Maven, but it appears that an entry in maven-core/src/main/mdo/toolchains.mdo
for this file in META-INF is needed in order to get it copied over to the bootstrap area during
the building of the target "generate-sources".