maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Model Version 5.0.0
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 09:29:36 GMT
On Sunday, 24 November 2013, Manfred Moser wrote:

> > By separating "consumption" and "production" metadata formats, we'll be
> > able to evolve production format more aggressively. For example, it
> > would be nice to have Tycho-specific configuration markup inside <build>
> > section. This is not currently possible because all poms must be
> > compatible with the same model.
>
> I like the idea of consumptions specifics. It would be great if we could
> agree/define some sort of standard on how to declare suitability for
> artifacts for certain deployment scenarios ..
> e.g. it is jar suitable for Java 6, 7, 8, 9 or what, what about running on
> Android, or on some embedded Java version profile.
>
> I dont believe that the previous approaches of using classifiers is just
> not powerful enough. And I also agree that we should potentially just
> stick to the existing format.
>
> E.g. nothing stops us from declaring a standard for e.g. for a bunch of
> properties like
>
> <properties>
>  <runtime.android>true</runtime.android>
>  <runtime.java6>true</runtime.java6>
> </properties>
>
> or
> <properties>
>  <runtime.android>false</runtime.android>
>  <runtime.java6>false</runtime.java6>
>  <runtime.java7>true</runtime.java7>
> </properties>

How is that any different from having a modelVersion 5.0.0? (Other than not
giving the benefit of a schema change)

We still have to get the hoard of non-maven pom parsers to become aware of
these "conventions" and no xml schema to assist their correct
implementation... Plus we'd need to be sure we are not accidentally
introducing a keyword of "enum" that loads of people have used as a
variable name for their Enumerators...