maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Model Version 5.0.0
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:38:13 GMT
On Sunday, 24 November 2013, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

> I think we are saying the same thing -- we evolve project model used
> during the build but deploy both the new and backwards compatible models.
>
> One quick note on representing dependencies as provided/required
> capabilities.

I think it needs to be deterministic, which means it should not need an
active server-side assist.

A pom could declare

<provides>
  <provide gav="javax:servlet-api:3.0"/>
</provides>

That means if you declare *that* pom as a dependency of yours it will (by
being nearer in the graph) replace any servlet-api dependencies in your
graph.

You can also do similar with dependencies, eg

<dependency gav="org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j:1.7">
  <provides>
    <provide gav="log4j:log4j:1.2"/>
  </provides>
</dependency>

Either form is deterministic and does not introduce dynamic resolution into
the model... But they make the things people want to do a lot easier IMHO

Although I like this idea in general, I believe it will

--
Sent from my phone