maven-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Defective Nov 5 upload to Maven central of Eclipse artifacts broke our build
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:57:18 GMT
Hi,

First, apologies if this is not the right mailing list for Maven Central issues...

On Nov 5, someone uploaded to Maven Central some new versions of Eclipse artifacts.

In particular, they uploaded:

org.eclipse.core : runtime : 3.9.0-v20130326-1255  and
org.eclipse.equinox: app : 1.3.100-v20130327-1442

The POM for this runtime artifact has this (faulty) dependency on the "app"
artifact:

|    ||<||dependency||>|
|      ||<||groupId||>org.eclipse.equinox <http://search.maven.org/#></||groupId||>|
|      ||<||artifactId||>app <http://search.maven.org/#></||artifactId||>|
|      ||<||version||>1.0.0</||version||>|
|      ||<||optional||>false</||optional||>|
|    ||</||dependency||>|

Specifying the dependency as "1.0.0" causes Maven 3.0.x to fail to locate this
artifact.  See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Versioning

This has broken our previous source release's ability to build from source.
We'll fix this going forward, for our build, but

For reference, prior to this change, the previous "org.eclipse.core:runtime" had
this dependency specified with a range notation, as:

|    ||<||dependency||>|
|      ||<||groupId||>org.eclipse.equinox <http://search.maven.org/#></||groupId||>|
|      ||<||artifactId||>app <http://search.maven.org/#></||artifactId||>|
|      ||<||version||>[1.0.0,2.0.0)</||version||>|
|    ||</||dependency||>|

This has broken our previous source releases' ability to build from source.
We'll fix this for our builds, going forward, but it would be nice if the maven
central administrators would contact the uploader and have them correct this
dependency specification (as well as other errors that might have crept in), so
our previously releases could continue to build.

-Marshall Schor