maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Model Version 5.0.0
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:31:54 GMT
Le dimanche 24 novembre 2013 10:26:13 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> On Nov 24, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Manfred Moser <manfred@mosabuam.com> wrote:
> >> By separating "consumption" and "production" metadata formats, we'll be
> >> able to evolve production format more aggressively. For example, it
> >> would be nice to have Tycho-specific configuration markup inside <build>
> >> section. This is not currently possible because all poms must be
> >> compatible with the same model.
> >
> > I like the idea of consumptions specifics. It would be great if we could
> > agree/define some sort of standard on how to declare suitability for
> > artifacts for certain deployment scenarios ..
>
> I don't believe this requires separate documents to support this.

true, this does not require separate documents

but having separate documents helps separating concerns: building a project vs
consuming its artifacts

and descriptor for consuption will be:
- a lot shorter than descriptor for building: not any plugin, for example
- build-agnostic

I'm pretty sure that separating descriptors will help us move forward and even
better design things

Regards,

Hervé